皇冠hg0088备用网址

For families seeking the right college preparatory high school, Maur Hill - Mount Academy sets the standard in providing the academic environment with the level of support and structure necessary for student success.

Maur Hill - Mount Academy has a proven approach - rooted in the Catholic faith and Midwestern values - of academic advancement and personal development that challenges and inspires each individual student.

As a result, Maur Hill - Mount Academy graduates are best prepared for their next steps into college and life as responsible, independent, and engaged members of the global community.


 

Accreditation, Associations, & Affiliations

                   

 

 

The Catholic Education Honor Roll (CEHR) is a national program recognizing schools committed to strong Catholic identity. Recognized schools commit to and model the Principles of Catholic Identity in Education.

Principles of Catholic Identity in Education
皇冠hg0088备用网址 The Honor Roll criteria conform (since 2017) to the , which The Cardinal Newman Society has derived from Church teaching and guidance on elementary and secondary education. They are: Inspired by Divine Mission; Models Christian Communion; Encounters Christ in Prayer, Scripture, and Sacrament; Integrally Forms the Human Person; and Imparts a Christian Understanding of the World.

 

 

Our Mission and Vision

Mission
Maur Hill-Mount Academy is a Catholic, international, college preparatory school educating young men and women in the Benedictine tradition.

Vision
To be one of the top Catholic Boarding schools in the country.

School Motto
Live the Faith, Pursue the Truth, Strive for Excellence.

School Colors
Black, Gold, Navy Blue

Mascot
Ravens

Benedictine Motto
Ora Et Labora (Pray and Work)

 

Our History  

Maur Hill-Mount Academy is a co-educational, Catholic, Benedictine, college preparatory high school created from the merger of two long established single-sex schools. Maur Hill Prep was established in 1919 by the monks of St. Benedict’s Abbey to educate young men, and Mount St. Scholastic Academy was established in 1863 by the Benedictine Sisters to educate young women. The  schools merged in 2003 to unify their strengths and provide the greatest benefit to the students.

  • 1857 – Benedictine Monks founded St. Benedict’s Priory first in Doniphan County and then move to Atchison in 1858.
  • 1858 – St. Benedict’s College is established with four students and increased to 16 by the end of the semester.
  • 1863 – November 11, 1863, under the leadership of Mother Evangelista Kremmeter seven Benedictine Sisters come to Atchison, Kan. to open a school for girls.
  • 1877 – The sisters purchase Price Villa at a private auction and move the Academy and the community there. The building was renamed St. Cecilia’s.
  • 1912 – The sisters purchase land for a new academy. Construction of the Administration Building begins in 1922. This would become the home of Mount St. Scholastica Academy and the newly founded St. Scholastica College
  • 1919 – During the summer, the monks purchase the former Midland College, a Lutheran Seminary College, and open it as St. Benedict’s Maur Hill in 1920, with 43 male students who transferred from St. Benedict’s College.
  • 1950 – During the late 1950s, Fr. Edwin Watson, a 1945 graduate of Maur Hill, became headmaster. Authorities told him that the school buildings no longer met code and needed to be replaced or the school would close. Fr. Edwin launched a massive campaign to rebuild the campus.
  • 1961 – The Fr. Edwin P. Watson Academic Building and a new gym (now Haverty gym), were completed after fundraising by Fr. Edwin and the community. Land immediately south of the campus is purchased by Maur Hill and creates its present day football, baseball, soccer fields, and tennis courts.
  • 1967 & 1970 – St. Leo’s and Howard Hall Dormitories are built. St. Leo’s was named after key donor Leo Hulseman of the Solo Cup Company, and Howard Hall after key donor Howard McCullough, a corporate officer of the Brunswick Corporation, who donated four reconditioned pinsetters for the bowling alley. Fr. Edwin always referred to three M’s of the Chicago League of St. Maur: Howard McCullough, Michael Murphy, and Mr. McHugh.
  • 1970 – A co-institutional plan was introduced with Mount St. Scholastica Academy and Maur Hill Prep retaining their separate identities but sharing faculty, facilities, and combining some classes and activities when feasible. The Academy moves out of the Administrative Building into a new facility of its own on the west campus of Maur Hill Prep.
  • 1973 – St. Michael’s Cafeteria was built honoring Michael Murphy’s contribution. The cafeteria supplied new housing for the Mexican sisters who cooked all the meals. The sisters served from 1949 to 2002.
  • 1994 – Fr. Edwin resigns after over 40 years of service to the school
  • 2003 – Maur Hill Prep and Mount St. Scholastica Academy merge to form Maur Hill-Mount Academy and use the Maur Hill Prep residence at 1000 Green Street. The boarding element remains, with St. Leo’s Hall housing boys and Howard Hall housing the girls.
  • 2008 – MH-MA sells property south of the school to Atchison Hospital, making it the second land sale (Walmart in 2004) to help the school weather through difficult times.
  • 2010 – After continued decrease in enrollment, financial difficulty, and the quality of facilities degrading, Maur Hill-Mount Academy board of directors decide to go back to a President and Principal model. The search concludes with a new President, Phil Baniewicz and he hires a new Principal, Monika King.
  • 2011 –“The League of St. Maur” is brought back to life. It is an annual donation group established by Fr. Edwin Watson in 1965. After almost 20 years since it last operated, the League begins again. Membership grows quickly, and deferred maintenance issues begin to be addressed.
  • 2012 – The MHMA Scholar’s Bowl team wins the league and regional titles, finishing in the top 6 of state, a streak that continues to today.
  • 2013 – Benedictine monks and sisters once again are brought back as faculty after an absence of several years. The first of several international and domestic students convert to the Catholic faith. The school begins to receive recognition for it’s Catholic identity; including regular visits from nationally known Catholic leaders and musicians.
  • 2014 – The League of St. Maur, with a lead gift from Mick and Marlys Haverty, save the “old gym,” the only remaining original building, by renovating it into the John Flynn Athletic Center (named after the long-time football coach). It becomes one of the best (small school) high school workout facilities in the Midwest. The campaign also improves athletic facilities across campus.
  • 2018 – MHMA receives a listing on the Cardinal Newman Society’s Catholic Honor Roll, one of only 30 Catholic high schools to receive the distinction. More national recognition is given, including top rankings as a Catholic school and boarding school. And with a nod to the past success of Ravens Athletics, this year’s football, basketball, and baseball teams go a combined 50-4 on the season, winning multiple league and regional titles.
  • 2019 – With the 2020 campaign nearing completion, the renovated St. Michael’s Hall (cafeteria) is completed, along with a new main entrance to the school. The Haverty Gym, renovation to the main academic building, Entrance to Excellence, baseball field, Courtney Turner Gateway, tennis courts, and complete campus ground improvements are completed for over $2 million, along with increasing the school endowment to nearly $3 million. The school is on a firm foundation for the future.

 

Benedictine Heritage
Maur Hill-Mount Academy has its roots in the Benedictine tradition. “In November 1863 braving the perilous conditions of the Civil War, seven Benedictine Sisters under the leadership of Mother Evangelista Kremmeter began the daring enterprise of establishing a Convent and Academy of the Benedictine Order in Atchison on the edge of the Kansas Prairie,” as mentioned in their history, 125 Years of Mount Saint Scholastica Academy. The Sisters organized grammar school classes that began December 1, 1863. By 1873, The Academy of Mount St. Scholastica was incorporated.  Enrollment at the Academy was 40 boarding students and 190 day students. On July 16, 1877 the Sisters purchased a house called Price Villa (known as St. Cecilia’s Hall) which was located on 12 acres of ground adjoining the city of Atchison. The Sisters and students occupied this building.

In 1912, the Sisters purchased land for a new Academy. The new building was dedicated in 1926 and housed Mount Saint Scholastica Academy and the newly founded St. Scholastica College. This building was known as the Administration Building. The Academy occupied the third floor of this building for the next 40 years. The dormitories for the Academy boarders were located in St. Cecilia’s until they moved to the fourth floor of the Administration Building in 1965. The Academy moved out of this building into a new facility of its own on the west campus of Maur Hill, which was dedicated in 1970.  In 1993, the journey continued as the Academy moved back to the Mount St. Scholastica campus into the Feeney Building left vacant by Benedictine College’s move to one campus. The boarding students lived in St. Scholastica Hall then called Hemmen. The Mount Academy remained on this campus until 2003 when the school merged with Maur Hill and the girls continued their studies on the Maur Hill (now Maur Hill - Mount Academy) campus. The girls continued to live in the dormitories on the Mount campus through the 2006-07 school year until some donors and a group of hard working volunteers went to work on the St. Leo's dorm to update it and create additional space for all boys to move into one dorm. This very successful volunteer drive allowed the girls to then move into the Howard Hall dorm on the Maur Hill - Mount Academy campus beginning in the 2007-08 school year.

With the same mission, Benedictine Monks founded St. Benedict’s Priory first in Doniphan County in 1857 and then moved to Atchison in 1858 and founded a school. The property where the present Maur Hill - Mount Academy campus is located was deeded to St. Benedict’s Abbey in December 1919 for the purpose of establishing a school. This purchase allowed the Abbey to separate the different age group of students, having the younger boys now study on the newly acquired property on the South end of town and the college students remain on the north campus which is present day Benedictine College. Already on this new property was a group of structures including an administration building, library, gymnasium, a dining hall with an annex infirmary, and a President’s House from the former Midland College that had relocated to Nebraska. The Old Gym (now John Flynn Athletic Center) is the last remaining building of the original campus. In 1920, the new school was named St. Benedict’s Maur Hill by a special chapter of the Abbey and had a student body of 43 male students. It was later called Maur Hill Prep, but most commonly known as Maur Hill. In 1961, the Academic Building (later to be named after longtime Headmaster, Fr. Edwin Watson) and a new gymnasium were completed on the campus. Adjacent lands were purchased and became the present football field, baseball field, tennis courts and soccer fields. Other milestones in school history include the St. Leo’s Dormitory built in 1967 and named after Leo Hulseman; Howard Hall dorm in 1970 named after Howard McCullough; St. Michael’s Cafeteria in 1973 and named after Michael Murphy. When the new cafeteria was built, the Mexican Sisters from Mexico City were in mind as they had served the school by running the cafeteria and performing various other duties since 1949. The lower floor of the cafeteria provided housing for the nuns, while the upper floor gave a brand new kitchen and cafeteria for the students of Maur Hill. There have since been a number of projects and updates to the campus facilities over the years to continue to provide a great academic and campus environment for the students.

The vision of our Benedictine Sisters and Monks continued after Maur Hill Prep and Mount Saint Scholastica Academy merged and unified their strengths in 2003 as Maur Hill - Mount Academy. The school continues educating young men and women from across the US and around the world in the same Benedictine tradition. The school is a legacy to the Sisters and Monks through the education, faith, and values they have instilled within the thousands of alumni/ae over the past 150+ year history and those in the halls today.

About MH-MA